I couldn’t think of anything to write yesterday.
In a few months, I will turn 48 which is two years away from 50. I went to a good university so I can do math just like that, in my head…Bam! 48 + 2 = 50. Yeah, I did that.
I looked on-line for lists of things you or I should do before we turn 50 but they didn’t appeal to me. I decided to look at lists of what people should do before they are 20 or 21. I would think that I would have better luck with those sorts of lists because I turned 20 and 21 successfully and successively….whoahahahoh! See what I did there?! Once again, Colgate University, thank you very much!
Here’s a list of things to do before you turn 20 which I found on the Huffingtonpost.com
- Epic kiss – Check, but kissing me is Epic so that’s an easy one.
- Road trip – I have a really
disturbingfunny road trip story from college which I will tell when my kids are out of college and cannot be influenced by my youthful behavior.
- Try a food you can’t pronounce – I doubt I did that by 20 or 21 but I regularly eat Bippity Boppity Boop, which Koreans call Bim Bum Bap and I can’t pronounce that correctly. Just noticing…what is it with me and the Koreans?
- Record a cover of your favorite song and post it on YouTube – There was no YouTube then. I work with a girl who when I told her my first job out of college was before there was internet, responded, “Oh you mean like AOL, like dial-up?” No, no interwebs at all of any kind. So I couldn’t record my favorite song and post it on YouTube. You’re welcome.
- Go skinny dipping – Yep, I believe it was in a pond on the Babson College campus. Laurie, help me out here.
- Participate in a flash mob – wha? No. No Interwebs. No Flash mobs.
- Fall in love and get your heart broken – uh, yeah. I was an absolute pro at that. I was the Liz Taylor of falling in love but not getting married and not getting rich while doing it.
- Sleep under the stars for one night – Check. But Elvis died that weekend so I never did it again.
- Pull a fun all-nighter – Does DKE till Dawn count?
- Go electronics free for 24 hours – 24 hours?! Pshaw! I went for years! Decades!!
- Vote — I miss going to vote. Oregon is entirely vote by mail which isn’t as much fun. I’d like a hanging chad or two. And seriously, vote. We are free to vote. Don’t insult those in countries who aren’t allowed to vote by not taking part in this privilege.
- Have a meaningful conversation with a stranger – I try but they start crying and run back to their parents.
- Get a passport and take it somewhere — I need a new passport.
- Learn to play a song on an instrument — I’ll just sing and Kitty will play back up on the recorder.
- Get a job. Any job. Be prepared!!! This is what the article wrote after this To Do before you are 21. I didn’t write this. “Even if you can’t stand your summer job at the mall, the experience of having responsibility to an employer and making your own money is an essential part of the passage to adulthood. For better or for worse, your first job is something you’ll never forget — so don’t wait until you’re out of college to get one.” Are you shitting me??? This is what is wrong with our society today. Even if you don’t like your summer job at the mall. If you don’t like it tough shit, work! Learn to work! Where are your parents?! Get a job! And I know this economy isn’t made for that but babysit, mow lawns, caddy, paint fences, I’ll give you something to do for $10/hour.
- Write a love letter to yourself and open it 10 years later. — I don’t know about the love letter part but maybe just a letter. This is part of the need to give yourself self-esteem. Go earn your self-esteem. Get a job and get off my lawn!
- Learn to have a basic conversation in a foreign language –or at least how to order beer.
- Dance in the rain. – uh, ok.
- Go to movie or dinner by yourself. — I love going to the movies alone. That dining part is just crazy talk and I won’t have it. Please read here and here for more information on my one-woman crusade against dining alone.
- Learn to cook your favorite meal — This is solid advice.
The following list came up from a Google search and it was written years ago by a 13-year-old girl, I can’t find her name or a website or anything but I love it.
- Go sky-diving off of an airplane with my best friend
- Become a star in at least one Broadway musical or play (I love musicals…ahh…)
- Go on a safari in the African plains
- Fall in (true) love at least once
- Be in a garage band…heheh
- Have one of my horror novels published
- Try calamari and sushi
- See the sun set in California
- Visit Tokyo, in Japan (How cute is that? As opposed to Tokyo, Oklahoma!)
- Sleep under the stars on a beach
- Go white water rafting
- and…this one is complete; accept myself for who I am. I’ve finally done that, since my ED recovery, and I’m very happy about it. During my ED I was not intersted in anything but food, but now I’m interested in writing potery and my novels, movies, film-making, and most importantly – enjoying life and living to the fullest. I want to make the most of my life, and I think now I’ll finally be able to start.
I hope she still accepts herself for who she is and has checked a few of these off her to do list.