You know what’s coming, don’t you bloggers?
Yep, it’s a post on Freshly Pressed. And I’m going to attempt to be as delicate as possible but I’m sure I will offend but it’s my blog and I’ll offend if I want to.
Recently, could have been last week, could have been last month…I read all 19 Freshly Pressed blog posts. For the non-bloggers, Freshly Pressed is the homepage of WordPress and features and I quote:
The best of 401,487 bloggers, 920,739 new posts, 1,617,669 comments, & 204,434,360 words posted today on WordPress.com.
I read the 19 Freshly Pressed Blog Posts for that day or week or however often they do it. I read these “BEST” posts not with a bitter “I’ve never been FP’d attitude” but with an open mind. I wanted to see what constitutes the best. I read for content and style, even if I am not interested in climbing K2 or eating curry or raising snakes or homeschooling. I read as a reader. If a writer is good, it doesn’t matter if the topic is one in which I’m interested or not. I had a subscription to Sports Illustrated for a year simply because I enjoyed the writing. I don’t know jack about college basketball or swimming or the NHL but SI has great writers.
I began my FP reading as an open minded reader and fellow blogger — perhaps I will learn something, laugh or cry…. I finished the 19 posts as a puzzled and annoyed reader, blogger and human.
Here are the 19 Freshly Pressed Blog Posts I read. I’m going to be vague unless I really loved it because I don’t want to be lynched by a blog posse.
1. The first post was a brief post that discussed a cat’s attitude or behavior in a humorous way but not that humorous. Really trying too hard by half to be funny and clever. I got the play on words. Not that good.
2. Reflections on this particular blogger’s one year anniversary blogging. Wow, what a journey. Meh.
3. Climbing in Yosemite. I’m not going to do it but the photos were beautiful and made my hands sweat.
4. Some sort of leadership guru guy, it appeared that he was marketing his services and I think that is bullshit. Why recognize an infomercial as the best of what WordPress has to offer?
5. Photos of one of the runners in England with the Olympic torch. This was a fun one. I still have photos of the Olympic torch runner going through Portland in 1984 for the Los Angeles Olympics.
6. An interview with a writer I have never heard of and it was BOH RING. And the writer took herself very seriously…really you’re not Harper Lee so get over yourself.
7. Photos of Tokyo. Shouldn’t these be on PhotoPress?
8. Top 10 movie list, time travel movies maybe? It was fine.
9. Clicked on this post and came up with “untrusted connection” warning so I didn’t read this one. Perhaps this was the ONE, the Freshly Pressed post that I have been waiting to read but it came with a virus warning so I didn’t read it. Ahh cruel fate!
10. This one was a paragraph and a photo about public transportation. Um, okay. I’m sure because the photo was black and white that the post was a very meaningful and deep look at riding the bus. A whole blog on how meaningful public transportation is? really?
11. Paleo Diet. This was interesting. I can’t figure out what the Paleo Diet is but I think it involves Brontosaurus Burgers.
12. Camping food. If I could eat like this, there’s a chance I’d go camping. This was good one.
13. I’m as shocked with what I am about to write as anyone who is about to read it. I think this was a really good blog post, it’s not fine literature but good writing and photos and informative on a medicine ball work out. I really really liked it! Me?! Sheesh.
14. Tour of Channel Islands park. Pretty pictures but it was so VERY long, I couldn’t read it all.
15. Something about being too distracted by all the electronics in our lives, I forget exactly I was watching TV and playing spider solitaire and blogging and reading but it said something about us having no attention spans any ….no, what was it?
16. Sunsets. Pretty Pictures.
17. Sidewalk chalk art. Great, cool photos. I have an issue when a blog’s tagline includes the sentence “Where I am AT?” What in the actual fuck? Is WordPress not about words? and writing? Ending a sentence with the word AT really pisses me off.
18. Chinese Garden photos. Black and white so artistic and meaningful.
19. 3 Cheese Grilled Pizza – good recipe, pretty cooking blog site.
I suppose I didn’t learn much from this. I learned I use images from Google and don’t credit them so I suppose I should do that. I need to take more meaningful black and white photos. I need to to go overseas and take black and white photos. I need to order food overseas and take black and white photos of it.
There are so many brilliant writers on here and you know who I think you are. And for my non-blogging readers, please click on my blogroll there’s some good stuff there. Freshly Pressed or not.
Here is a black and white photo of a grave marker with my name on it. I took this photo. This Margaret O’Connor died in 1926 and I was born on the 26th. Artistic and Meaningful.